Monday, February 7, 2011

No title for the first one…

By Gabby Morales

I’ll try to write something that makes sense and I’ll start by my realization of PD even before I knew it had a name.  I’ve always been the type of person who likes to help, but am easily discouraged with people’s attitude towards the concept.  Some of the people I have encountered throughout my life have only cared about how helping is going to benefit them.  Will they get a reward?  Will their name be mentioned at some fancy dinner party?  Will they be honored at graduation by wearing a colorful stole?  And by the same token, I know those who take advantage of being helped and expect it like it’s a right.  It’s the gimme gimme gimme attitude while I sit on my ass and do nothing to better myself.

With no surprise to myself, I became one of those people who didn’t bother to care.  I saw the cons to both sides and decided not to participate in any of the two.  I went about my days doing what I had to do without worrying about the rest.  But thank God I’m now older and while those sentiments remain to some level, I am breaking away from them.  I have come across people who help for the sake of helping and ask nothing in return.  Not only do these people help but they help in a way that is very different from what I am used to.  They step outside the line.  They give an equal voice to those in need and help them find the answers they have had all along.  In return, those who are helped appreciate the opportunity of being listened to and give it their all to improve whatever situation they are experiencing.   In the end, the credit is theirs for working hard.
 
Why then when you ask someone what PD is they give you a blank stare?  I might add that you can’t completely explain to someone what PD is through words, but you can show them with actions.  That’s how I learned and how from that point on I was able to comprehend that what I had given up on had a name.   So a new year marks a new op.portunity to learn and explore and I have invited myself to partake in this experience and break away from the old self.

No comments:

Post a Comment