Monday, February 28, 2011

Let's Recap Shall We...

By Sandra Ramirez

As I mentally prepare for another class in Positive Deviance, I reflect on everything I’ve learned so far.  PD is one of those topics that you don’t mind learning about.  In fact, you can’t wait to learn more.  When Dr. Singhal suggested that we design or own syllabus, activities that came up included articles, videos and case studies.  Although it has been extremely helpful to read about PD, the most helpful information for me came from Ale and Patricia’s presentations in class last week.  I usually jot down two pages of notes during class and that might seem odd, but I just want to make sure I don’t miss any connections or forget something that makes PD make sense. I absolutely appreciated learning the method behind PD, and the importance of data.  In the Vietnam case study the “green dots” represented well-nourished children, and it was the mapping of those dots that resulted in measurable data of those engaging in positively deviant behavior.  In Ale’s teenage pregnancy study, we were privileged enough to have her reveal her step-by-step process.  Thank you, Gabby for asking her to break it down for us.  Determining the criteria is a part of the process that may not be as simple as it appears.  In PD we define a problem but contrary to our instincts we’re not looking for a solution.  Instead, we have to determine the risk criteria that make them deviant, then the specific criteria that make the case positive.  The criteria have to be very specific, and as Patricia’s study proved it may need to be altered…repeatedly.  Forgive me for this uninspiring and basic post that is nothing more than a tedious review of what we all heard in class…but it helps my thought process to recap everything and have a place to come back and review it (in case the pages in my notebook catches on fire or something).  Anyway, listening to how Ale and Patricia organized their projects made it seem less overwhelming.  I think completing a thesis based on PD seems exciting but I definitely have some reservations about seeing the process through.  Listening to the presentations helped me understand that there will be challenges but it’s possible to overcome them, and there is guidance in the advisors on the project.  The most encouraging aspect of the presentations is knowing that I can pursue the thesis topic I am interested in through a PD lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment