Monday, April 11, 2011

Inquiry Progress Pt. 2

by Gabby Morales




This topic has had some obstacles from the very beginning. This is a very private, yet public matter for women. After going through revisions of the PD question, the questionnaire was finally put into action. The question was:
Are there Hispanic women over the age of 40, who come from a highly disadvantaged, socioeconomic status, who have found ways to get a mammogram at least once a year, despite not having medical insurance? What encourages them to get one? Who helps? What helps?
From this question came the criteria which I ask in my questionnaire:


1. Are you Hispanic?
2. Are you over the age of 40?
3. Do you have medical insurance?
4. Have you had a mammogram in the 12 months?
5. Was that your first time getting a mammogram?
6. Have you had more than one mammogram checkup since you turned 40?
7. What encourages you to get an exam? Why?
a. Family history
b. Family
c. Friends
d. Neighbors


The last part of the questionnaire has brought some amazing results. I was unsure of asking the question straight out, but so far this question seems to be the favorite one. Because of its open-ended nature, women seem to give me more insight than I thought I could possibly obtain. I have discovered that a network is what is helping these women. Like I mentioned in my first PD progress entry, some of the women prefer going in pairs or small groups, but I have now discovered that that does not always work. Some may have work to go to, others have other responsibilities that do not allow them to do so and instead use the motivation from others to go. I will not get into much detail right now because I have yet to collect some questionnaires and do some interviews. I am just posting what I have found out so far. More to come…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment